Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler




Seemingly average teen, Lisabeth Lewis has a problem. She is constantly reminded by the "Thin voice" of how "fat" and "disgusting" she appears, and it's always informing her if she eats, she's weak. Lisa's *new* best friend, Tammy is bulimic. Her ex-best friend became her ex- by telling Lisa she thinks she has a problem. When Lisa feels she just can't take it anymore she's visited by Death and is forced to become The Dark Rider, Famine.

Talk about a hardcore story! The reality of Lisa's disease and unaware self-destruction were truly heart-wrenching. Through her journey, Lisa loses everything, her best friend, boyfriend, family, and health. It's only when her self-loathing has reached unspeakable lows that she finds her inner strength, learns to like herself, and realizes her sickness.

The ending was beautiful, the story horrifying, and the writing was great. I can't wait for the next book! The subject matter and some situations are far too dark for younger readers or faint-of-heart. Consider yourself warned!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one as well... It hit home as I dealt with many of the same voices as Lisa when I was in junior high and high school. My experiences were quite as bad as Lisa's, but they've still had a huge impact on my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be adding this book to my wishlist. I've seen this book on a few blogs and it sounds like it is a must read. I've just found your blog and am I new follower. I've been reading YA lit for years but have just recently started reading paranormal and fantasy. If you haven't read it yet, you may want to check out Rot and Ruin by Jonathan Maberry. I'm reading it now and it is so good.

    ReplyDelete