Thursday, October 21, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything--including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
Published October 19th 2010 by Philomel
My Ratingdidn't like itit was okliked itreally liked itit was amazing (my current rating)
Read from September 19 to 24, 2010
recommended byGood Golly Miss Holly ARC Tour


Calla is the very dutifully-minded, strong Alpha of the Nightshade pack, and takes her position quite seriously. She's always known she would be paired by the Keepers with Renier, the gorgeous, popular Alpha of the Bane pack. The wolves do as the Keepers say, and in return the Keepers see to it the wolves have everything they could ever possibly want. When Calla comes across a lone hiker in the woods being attacked by a bear, she is torn between letting nature take it's course (and the hiker surely dying), or saving him, which means revealing she is a wolf. She simply cannot walk away from him.
Saving Shay was the first in a long line of fate-altering events for Calla, as she discovers when he shows up at her school soon after. When she is charged with befriending him by her Keeper she starts to realize their meeting in the woods was much far than coincidence. This boy poses the questions Calla has never sought to answer, and her destiny is forever altered.

Nightshade was fast-paced, intense, and addictive. I wasn't too excited about reading another werewolf story, but this was by no means comparable to the others I've read lately. The depth of the characters and twisted unpredictability left me sleepless and longing for more. The ending was vaguely predictable, but written as such that I was still surprised by the way things played out. Up to the very end I was gripping the pages with my heart racing. This is one of those stories that are so easy to lose yourself in.


I can't wait to see what Cremer has in store for us next.

The blog and Facebook sites for Shay Doran are BRILLIANT! I discovered them shortly after finishing the ARC and have found myself checking in daily to see what he's doing!

I've already ordered a finished copy of this book, it's one I can definitely say I'll read again.


No comments:

Post a Comment