Sunday, April 11, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

I read The Hunger Games about two months ago. I enjoyed the book, but waited to read the sequel, Catching Fire simply because I needed something happy and light. Don't get me wrong, HG is a unique and consuming story of post-failed-revolution America under an intensely Communist Dictatorship. Okay, political mumbo-jumbo aside, this girl has a shit life, no opportunity for success, in a constant struggle for survival, and then it gets worse...unimaginably worse...disturbingly-nightmare-inducibly worse. I think the shoulder-slumped, incapable-of-smiling me was more from the weight of the story than the lack of sleep from not being able to put the damn book down.
Anyhow, I finally mustered up the will to read Catching Fire and finished it in 2 days. No, it wasn't really short, just really good. Matter of fact, I have started announcing random requests for my sponsors to please send Mockingjay with the next silver parachute because I simply can't wait another 4 months for it. Death is eminent! I'm serious!
In this book Katniss and Peeta have returned to District 12 as Victors. Life is easier, but far from pleasant. The Capitol holds a grudge towards Katniss for her shenanigans during the Games, and will make her pay. In the beginning Kat's difficulties lie simply in the love triangle between herself, Peeta, and Gale. The issue prolonging the pain is the fact that Katniss simply doesn't want to love either of the guys, what's the point when you really can't have a safe, happy future anyway? Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, Collins throws another curve-ball at you and you just can't put the friggin book down. I may have skipped class, may have fed the fam carry-out two days in a row, may have even called in to work because of this book. Okay, I really was ill that day, but Catching Fire was the BEST caregiver! Bottom line: Read This Book, and yes, Tricia will be forced to read it also. Great story for boys and girls age 12+, and grown-ups with hungry imaginations.
rating: didn't like itit was okliked itreally liked itit was amazing (my current rating)
bookshelves: keeper, read
(edit shelves)
status: Read in April, 2010
my copy:
Added: Apr 10, 2010 Condition: Brand new ISBN: 0439023491 edit | remove
review: I think I read this book in less than 24 hours. If you liked The Hunger Games, even a little, you HAVE to read this book. While HG developed the characters and set the rules, CF brings you right into the hearts and minds of the characters you love/hate. If the greatness continues to grow book-by-book, Mockingjay could very well end up tattooed upon my self somewhere. Seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment