Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Shamra Divided by Barry Hoffman

Shamra DividedShamra Divided by Barry Hoffman

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Curse of the Shamra is a very unique fantasy with original characters. The story is one of strength and empowerment in a dystopian setting with well-developed creatures that we accompany very personally as they overcome oppression, alienation, and hardships beyond my own imagination. A very significant tale for young girls to read, Shamra's main characters are teenage girls that battle the brutality of a very gender based society. We follow them as they grapple with a barrage of sexism, fascism, and despotism yet effectively prove perseverance and passion are more powerful than anything mankind could use as a weapon.

I chose 3/5 stars not because it was a mediocre story; on-the-contrary it was very deep and thorough, but more-so because it's not MY type of story. If you enjoy getting lost in a fantasy world with very different creatures, you will love this book. I, however, would have liked to have seen some romance (I know...typical woman response).

This is the second book in the Shamra Chronicles, and I haven't read the first. This may impact my choice, when I get to it.

View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. Just stopping by all the blogs I follow – have been out of town and am feeling out of touch. Thought I would check in with everyone! Stop by The Wormhole if you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete