Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Fiddler's Gun by A.S. Peterson

The Fiddler's GunThe Fiddler's Gun by A.S. Peterson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Fin has always felt she had no choices. She didn't choose to be the 13th girl born to her parents; or be left at an orphanage; or to prefer mischief over conformity. This is just the way things are. When assistants are being chosen from the orphanage to help build a new chapel Fin wants nothing more than to be selected, but this is a boys job and the Sister's assign her to Kitchen Aid instead. Much to her surprise she finds an unlikely friend in Brother Bartimaeus, the Cook. Who has kept his dark past secret from everyone. Through a whirlwind of events Fin finds herself, finally, in a role no one could have predicted. Being pursued by both sides of the war, she has become a legend in her own right. The desires of her heart have changed and matured, but are no more accessible than when she first became aware of them.
This book holds within its pages an historic adventure of epic proportions, complete with scandal, tyranny, love, hate, murder, and mutiny. It's well written, poetic, suspenseful, and exciting. I, on more than one occasion emphatically cheered, laughed, cried, and cursed. I could smell the musty pits of the prison ship, feel the sun on my face, and swooned to the sad hum of the fiddle. This is a book that changed my opinion of Historical Fiction for the better, and I'm grateful I had the opportunity to read it.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment