Thursday, May 27, 2010

"Spells" by Aprilynne Pike

Spells (Wings, #2) Spells by Aprilynne Pike


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This is an amazingly wonderful follow-up to Wings! It contained just the right amount of what I not-so-secretly wanted (David and Tamani). The first few chapters were unbelievably addicting, although I started less than 24 hours after finishing Wings. I walked out of the book store reading and sat in my car for 30 minutes trying to find a good place to bookmark...Nearly impossible!
Laurel and David's relationship is perfectly satisfying, and I have to thank you, Aprilynne, for not mangling that as too many authors do. I can't resist how genuinely beautiful both characters are, and how sincere and passionate their interaction is.
There were a few chapters in the middle that I had a hard time staying focused on; the summer school stuff, although intriguing, just didn't appeal to me and I found myself wishing Tamani would show up at Laurel's room to save ME from the lack of excitement. Once she went back home I was right back up to my elbows in the story again.
I can't deny I had tears throughout the big implosion of the love triangle. That was the only point I didn't wish I was in Laurel's shoes! My selfishness wanted to write a fanfic spin-off where the three of them lived happily-ever-after, and dammit all if I just can't figure out how to make that happen!!! I'm anxious to see what book 3 will bring.
This book paints a vivid, thorough picture of a world I wish I could find. Pike can write it better than I can dream it!

View all my reviews >>

No comments:

Post a Comment